Key Action Points of our Manifesto
Summary of Key Actions
- Fight the closure of Penrith Post Office and support actions that secure its future.
- Oppose the ill-conceived Penrith Masterplan until it delivers direct benefits to the whole Eden District and has been subject to a full and proper consultation process with the option to dismiss it.
- Campaign for Council contracts to go to local businesses and to public ownership, where appropriate, as part of a Community Wealth Building programme.
- Consult on an innovative plan to combat the decline of local retail outlets and high streets.
- Invest in and promote tourist attractions in our District and consult on the idea of a ‘tourist tax’ that will benefit the whole of the district.
- Support families experiencing difficulties with Universal Credit and campaign for a strategy to address issues of child poverty.
- Lobby for steps to improve public transport and access to public services. In particular, we will campaign for the maintenance of all existing leisure and recreation facilities and for the development of new opportunities, particularly for children, young people and the elderly.
- Campaign for more social and affordable housing for local people.
- Initiate measures to create a greener Eden District.
- Seek to reconstitute Heart of Cumbria Limited as a Community Interest Company and review their composition and organisational objectives.
- Bring workable solutions to issues of fly tipping, litter and dog fouling.